What did we spend? (All values are in GBP)
- Total spent for two people in August (31 days): £1350.29
- Average per person per day: £21.78
The pie chart:
We decided at the beginning of the month to increase our daily budget from £40 to £45 for the two of us (so £1395 for the month), as we knew we'd be spending more travelling north from Arequipa and once we were in Lima, as our apartment was more expensive and we knew it would be a more expensive city.
That turned out to be a good decision as we easily exceeded £40 a day, but we actually we ended up slightly under our new budget, which is always a nice feeling!
Accommodation, eating out and transport were significantly higher this month than in July, and given that we were travelling around southern Peru and then in our Lima apartment rather than staying put in Arequipa, this is not surprising. Spending on food (that is, food bought in markets, at street stalls or supermarkets rather than in restaurants) for the same reason, was lower than the previous month, as we didn't do as much cooking in August.
Entertainment includes entrance to one club and Santa Catalina monastery in Arequipa, a museum, planetarium and mirador in Nazca, a winery tour around Ica, two tours in Paracas and a few museums in Lima.
Miscellaneous this month includes toiletries, medicine, laundry on just one occasion (in Arequipa we washed by hand and here in Lima we have access to a washing machine), a few household items (bin bags, toilet paper, bleach) and a hair cut each.
Indefinite Adventure around the web
- 3rd August: I did an interview with Lillie from Teaching Traveling about teaching and travelling
- 9th August: Emma from Gotta Keep Movin' interviewed me
- 15th August: I wrote a guest post for Easy Hiker about hiking in the Colca Canyon, the easy way
- 16th August: Liyana from Glamorous Traveller interviewed us, her first male couple, about how to travel in style
- 18th August: We compiled our best packing tips to help other wannabe long term travellers over at Suitcase Stories
- 26th August: I was interviewed by Neil from Backpacks and Bunkbeds
What did we do?
When August began, we were just finishing up our time in Arequipa. We then spent the next two weeks travelling through southern Peru, visiting Chivay, Nazca, Huacachina (where we celebrated our eighth anniversary), Ica and Paracas before arriving in Lima and renting our next apartment here.
Unfortunately, we got food poisoning that debilitated us for over a week when we first arrived in the capital, so we weren't very productive for a while, but we've recovered and are now finding our rhythm in the city!